Monday, May 12, 2014

Kurt Vonnegut's CAT'S CRADLE

Sometimes it's easy to forget how much you like a writer's work. At least it is if you remain perpetually busy. I recently had a conversation with a friendly customer at my day job who asked me if I liked Kurt Vonnegut. I answered immediately that he's one of my favorite authors, which is absolutely true, but I also realized, not long after that, that I hadn't actually read anything by the man in a very long time.

It happens. It's almost inevitable. I write every day, and I work a day job five days a week and now and then, just for grins, I like to relax a bit, maybe see friends, you get the idea. Part of the writing gig is research (not that I'm complaining) and that often means reading in certain fields and not in others. I still manage to read for leisure, but not nearly as much as I'd like to.

Well, I made the time to try my new friend's suggestion when said friend said that CAT'S CRADLE was a personal favorite (Mine, for the record, is THE SIRENS OF TITAN, which is brilliant in my humble opinion.). I took the time to read the book and more than that, to savor the words chosen by Vonnegut. He was a storyteller, true enough, but he was also gifted in the creation of the sentence.

What a great book. I can't hope to recommend it enough.


Here's a link to the Kindle edition, should you be interested.

and here's one of the numerous covers from over the years.


No comments:

Post a Comment