Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mama

I love horror movies. It's a simple fact. I love them. I love the good ones, the bad ones even the epically crappy ones have a certain appeal (There are exceptions, of course, I could find absolutely NOTHING salvageable in RETURN TO SALEM'S LOT. Nothing. Seriously.).

Which brings us to Mama. produced by Guillermo Del Toro (among others) and directed by Andres Muschietti, the story is based off of a three minute short (included on the DVD) and is delightful. A well-acted and well-written ghost story that has some of the creepiest scenes I've run across in a long time. I won't say much beyond that, just a heads up for anyone who likes a really good ghost story. IMDB.com is normally pretty spot in the details and the reviews they work up come from multiple sources. Personally I would have given a higher star rating than the average (6.3) that shows on the site.

Then again, I am hardly normal.

For me the movie was nearly perfect, foregoing the standard blood, guts and gore for atmosphere and a genuinely creepy tale. I'll take this over a dozen remakes of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and similar ilk.


No comments:

Post a Comment