Wednesday, March 20, 2013

James Herbert: Rest In Peace

The Rats, Magic Cottage, The Fog, The Dark, Lair, The Secret of Crickley Hall, Sepulcre...it's a long list, really. the books that James Herbert wrote since he started writing lo those many years ago when I was around eight. I remember reading The Fog back when I was just starting to read anything more substantial than an occasional short story or comic book. His books were always a bit gory, a bit short--I always wanted a more--and always a delight for me. His writing style was eloquent and tense with an impending sense that things were about to go horribly wrong for the characters I quickly came to know and sympathize with.
Did I read every last one of them? No, but the ones I did read were always a pleasure. He was a talented writer who has, according to the Huffington Post, now passed away. He leaves behind a wife and three daughters and over twenty novels. My heartfelt condolences to his loved ones. He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment