Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Next Big Thing Blog Meme

So, as is often the case with this sort of thing, I was told about this by my friend and co-author Charles R. Rutledge. You can find his version of this here.  The idea is to talk about something you've been working on recently. The "Next Big Thing" you have coming out. Charles was told about this and invited in by his friend Howard Andrew Jones. You can check out Howard's answers right here. See the links? I like links. You get to explore so much more that way, you know?

Anyhow, here's my answers to this particular meme. Charles invited me in and I asked him if I should report on BLIND SHADOWS, the sequel to the same, CONGREGATIONS OF THE DEAD, or my new fantasy novel SEVEN FORGES. He said to go with SEVEN FORGES, because he covers BLIND SHADOWS pretty well in his answers. On the off chance that you've forgotten, BLIND SHADOWS is out collaborative effort that has just been released. 





What is the working title of your book?

SEVEN FORGES, which is also the name of the trilogy it belongs to.

Where did the idea for the book come from?

I love fantasy novels. Well, I love the idea of fantasy novels. When I was younger I read a lot of them. Most of them seemed to me to be the same story after a while and I became disillusioned. I moved on and found other genres. But I still have an abiding love of the genre and I wanted to explore a few ideas that didn’t really fit with horror as well. In this case, we’re talking culture clashes, religious differences, radically different lifestyles and, of course, revenge.

What genre does your book fall under?

Decidedly fantasy. In particular, I’d call it sword and sorcery.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie version.

We’re talking a very large cast. Gerard Butler, Vin Diesel, Scarlet Johansson, Molly C. Quinn, Andrew Garfield and at least a dozen more.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of the book?

   A thousand years after a world war ends with a cataclysm, the victors run across the survivors they thought couldn’t possibly exist.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

Barring a catastrophic failure in negotiations, SEVEN FORGES will come out from a major publishing house. I really can’t say who yet, as the ink has not yet been placed on the contracts.


How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

   I spent about a year kicking around ideas, wrote the first part of the novel over the span of a month or so, and then when a publisher said they wanted to see the rest of the novel, I kicked into high gear and finished in around another month, so actual writing time was about seven weeks.

What other books would you compare this story with in your genre?

Honestly, and I’m sure there are a few, I don’t know of any to compare to it, because I’ve been out of the genre for a very long time. I can say that Robert E. Howard was very influential in my approach, and so were Fritz Leiber and Michael Moorcock.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

I had a few discussions with Charles R. Rutledge, and we chatted about what we liked and what we didn’t like about most modern fantasy. I think as much as anything else those conversations started me thinking seriously about tackling the idea that until then had just been a notion on the back burner.

What else about your book might pique the interest of readers?

   Carnage, violence, a side of romance, a dash of horror and, hopefully, a few tricks no one has seen in the genre before.

   So there you go. Be sure and swing by Charles and Howard's sites and check out the other writers involved.

1 comment: