Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Iron Wolves are coming....



Now, see, I am officially delighted by the following news release. Why? Because I'm currently reading Andy Remic's The Clockwork Vampires, and loving the series. Lots of action, lots of fun, and lots of stuff I haven't run across before in a fantasy adventure. And believe me, that's a huge thing for me. 
As I stated a while back I've been writing my own fantasy lately and one of the rules I set for myself was it had to be something I haven't seen before. Once upon a time I read a lot of fantasy. Far too much of it came down to the following simple plot points: ancient evil comes to restomp the crap out of the the good guys who barely squeaked out a victory in the past, and then the one hero in a million happens upon the magical relic that can save the entire forest of elves, unicorns and gnomes. Along the way, there are bad guys aplenty, at least a couple of pretty girls and an of course, our one hero who must come from a humble beginning (possibly as an orphan, but often merely as a boy who longs for adventure). 
Nothing wrong with  that, but after reading a few dozen variations I gave up in disgust and moved on to different genres. I am always delighted to come across stories that break from that mold. They remind me that fantasy can be limitless, as it should be. So, yes, looking forward to this. 

Angry Robot Signs “Anti-Heroic” Epic Fantasy Series
Angry Robot is reeling with the news that maniac fantasy author Andy Remic is returning with a brand new series.
The Iron Wolves is the first of at least two novels set during a time of war and invasion. Riffing on The Dirty Dozen and The Magnificent Seven, the novel sees a disparate band of ruffians and renegades being reunited one last time to defend a key stronghold against overwhelming odds. But when they fight as one, the veteran warriors have a hidden power, and unleashing it one last time will have extraordinary consequences.
Andy Remic’s previous Clockwork Vampire trilogy for Angry Robot earned him the nickname “the Tarantino of epic fantasy” and the new novels will be loosely set in the same setting.
The first novel will be published in January 2014 in paperback, ebook and audio editions. The deal was done direct with Andy Remic by Marc Gascoigne, Angry Robot’s MD and publisher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment